Thursday, March 13, 2008

The latest in a sad, sad tale




Funny, now that I have the time to actually write here, it seems I have little I want to say, or maybe it's just that I don't know how to write about the things that matter the most to me. Our lives here have been turned completely upside down, and I honestly don't know what to do or how to go about it.

Mark went into the dealership yesterday, as he was supposed to, to count parts that will be returned for Bill. Prior to Tuesday, he was helping out in the back, mostly being the interim service manager, and also covering the lube tech's job. On Tuesday morning, he was relieved of both duties and told he could leave. He told Mr. Parts and Service director that he might as well get started on counting the parts they had put in the back shop, as Bill has told him it would have to be done before the sale of the dealership closed, and because they were committed to paying him, he would rather be paid to DO something. On Wednesday when he returned, he was told to leave. He was not wanted there, he was no longer allowed in there, they did not trust him and that the parts would all have to be recounted, anyway. Wtf?

I was not surprised, as after I left on Tuesday evening, I seriously expected that they would not want him anywhere near. However, the area that he works in, is way out of the way, and no one would have any reason to go back there, unless they were wanting to harass him. And that's just what happened. To imply that he was doing something wrong, that he would ever lie about anything really, REALLY scalds me. If any of you knew Mark, you would know that he is a man of such integrity, such honesty that any implication of any wrong doing is utterly ridiculous. It pisses me off to such an unbelievable degree...In the end, although they knew that he was there as a direct order from Bill, and although they cannot fire or let anyone go until the sale is completed, it did not matter to them. They told him the get out and stay out. I'd say they are a little pissed off at me, don't you agree?

Sadly, I don't know how any of this will play out, but I do think that Mark will be the loser in the whole deal. They do HAVE to pay him until the completion of the sale, but you and I both know they won't, and I'm not sure what recourse we will have. Small claims court, I would assume. Bill knows about all of this and is in contact with his lawyers, but for him to make a huge stink over all of it is a bit over the top but he says he will. For the life of me, I cannot understand WHAT this guy is doing. He is buying a business that was up for sale, obviously, there should not be any problem in doing that. It takes a few weeks for General Motors to approve the sale, and this is not his first rodeo, so he knows that, too. All he has to do is bide his time, until that is finished. Then he can do things any way he wants to...but to make such a mess of everything now, to stir up such trouble now...to act the way he has with me, which I realize is not that big a deal, but he KNOWS that Bill has left me to handle all of it, so to act the way they did with me, was actually acting that way to Bill, the guy you are buying the business from. Does that make sense to you?

So, it was a good birthday. Not. We did have lunch with two of the kiddos in the city...and it was nice. I cried alot, so I'm sure that set the tone to a bit off, for a bday celebration. Ah, who cares, being 48 is really not much to celebrate. I vote that from 45 on, the birthdays go the opposite way...so eventually, we'll all end up being 21 again. My most wonderful kids got me a photo printer, and I'm excited to get that hooked up to my puter. Speaking of puters, there has been a whole lot of switching of them around here, and the one I am now using is the one I had at work. At least I will be able to get my home office organized, as I have ICS things, Bills things and my own scattered from here to there. Today, that is my mission. And I'm happy to have a mission, as I have little else..until I can get my head on straight, it's just one foot in front of the other. And I'm afraid even that will be too much for me.

I hope your Thursday is great. I don't have a 12 hour day - like I always have on this day. In fact, I don't have a day at all..., this is too much for me to get my head around. No job, no work, no job or work for Mark---somehow that doesn't compute. I knew that we would both be looking for work, that is not a surprise, but the way it has been done, the abruptness of the whole thing leaves me flabbergasted.

Since I'm obviously feeling like hell this morning, I posted a photo of a way happier time for me, one that I took in San Diego a few years ago. I'd like to be back there, right about now. Have a good day.

18 comments:

Summer said...

Happy Birthday and unemployment and what are you doing up so early?

This is the beginning of all good things for you and your DH. I smiled when you spoke of him being a man of integrety. That makes me happy for you.

Cheryl said...

Yes, this sucks all around. No other way to say it. Take some time to get your head around it, then make a plan. You can do this.

Anonymous said...

Yeah..it is scary...but once you get things back sorted out again..you'll feel much better about the whole thing. I can imagine the first couple of weeks will be unbelievably surreal... hang in there!

SOUL said...

no words of wisdom from me today. if i dare even attempt it-- i would be tugging at my foot the whole rest of the day trying to take it back out of my mouth.

i hope today is somehow better for you. i'm sorry so much is going on.

i'm thinkin about ya ...
not that it helps much--
but we all care about you-- and that sure must help-- at least a little?

OXOX

Terri said...

so sorry all this is bringing you guys down but it sounds like it's good for you both to be out of that place.

Happy Belated Birthday! here's hoping for better times.

Billy said...

Wow, that totally bites. Why do people have to be that way?

Happy Birthday Jamie!!! 48 has nothing on you! You look amazing!!!!!!!!!

ac said...

That new owner is a real creep. I see bad things in his future. Karma is a Bad Moto Scooter. ac

Mary said...

This is a terrible situation for the two of you. It's good that the old owner is willing to go to bat for you. What will happen if General Motors doesn't approve the sale? If BJ had problems before and GM knows there could be big problems ahead for him.

Anonymous said...

Big, big virtual hug! ***squeeze***

It doesn't matter if it a rapid death or a long painful employment death it's never easy!

My last *real* job was a slow death. For two years we waited to be formally laid off. Every day we walked it we wondered if it would be our last. They constantly put the squeeze on us trying to make us so upset we would walk away without severance or do something so inappropriate we would be fired.

I cried everyday before work. I finally couldn't take it anymore. I told people I was taking my time looking for "the right job" for me and that's why I had been unemployed for three years, but the truth was. No one would hire me. I finally "dumbed down" my resume to get the job I now have. At least it helps pay the bills.

I wish you better luck! I hope have contacts or a network of friends and family that can help lead you to new opportunities. Try not to sell yourself short if you can avoid it. Remember that your skills can cross over and translate into other job fields you might not have considered.

You can't afford to give up, just keep reassessing the situation and trying different avenues until something works for you.
Good luck!

And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
-P

Portia said...

i'm sorry, jamie, that really blows. i hope you're having a better day today :)

Raine said...

What a jerk the new owner is! May the fleas of 1000 camels infest his armpits and a really bad virus infest his computers!!!

Rebecca said...

Hi. Sorry about what is happening at work. It is truly awful how ridiculous and petty people can be.

Happy Birthday to you. And 48 is awesome on you :)It's not the years, but the job weighing on you now, girl. It'll be ok...as you said, one foot in front of the other, and breathe.

r.

Angel said...

Happy Birthday and you are NOT losing it! Do you want to go back to work?

I think you are totally HOT!!! 48 is just a number girlfriend....

Anonymous said...

NO BODY TALKS TO MY JAMIE THAT WAY! You go girl.. its a vacation! Enjoy the hell out of it! And dont you worry ill go in there and Kick lil mr DJ butt straight :P We both love and miss the heck out of ya

The Real Mother Hen said...

Keeping you in my prayer, demanding the man up there to take good care of you.

Life is a bitch.

Moohaa said...

I can't even tell you how upset I am for you. What a crappy situation. You guys are a strong, strong family. This will be an event to laugh over some day when you are independently wealthy. Hugs.

Happy Birthday!

bonnie said...

Yup that sounds pretty upside down. As my friend always says...there's got to be a pony in this shit.

Maria said...

Hope your birthday was very, very happy..even though, okay...it was kind of sad.

See it as the new step in a really fascinating life. Because, I don't know...I just think something good is gonna happen.